JASON BAY: FIRST I LOOK AT THE PURSE

Some fellas look at the eyes
Some fellas look at the nose
Some fellas look at the size
Some fellas look at the clothes
I don’t care if her eyes are red
I don’t care if her nose is long
I don’t care if she’s underfed
I don’t care if her clothes are worn
First I look at the purse!

J.Geils Band

I should be a happy Mets fan this morning, with the news that Jason Bay will sign up to man left field for my favorite baseball team. What’s not to like about Bay ? Big time power hitter from the right side of the plate, he stepped in to a situation in Boston, as crazy a baseball town as NYC and he took the place of one of the greatest right handed hitters to ever pick up a bat in Manny Ramirez and excelled. I was  at Fenway Park for Bay’s first game as a Red Sox and his hitting and attitude won over the hearts of Royal Rooters that weekend.  So why am I not on the phone pleading with the Mets ticket office to please, PLEASE, sell me a season ticket, I don’t care if a handrail or giant piece of Plexiglas impairs my vision of the field, I JUST WANT TO BE AT $ITI FIELD IN 2010!!!!!!!!!!   Well, because Jason Bay can’t pitch.

It’s not just that Bay is not a pitcher and the Mets need about three starting pitchers to even think of contending for an NL Pennant , I still look at the Mets as Bay’s last resort.  You have to feel, the Red Sox were his first choice to re-enlist with and his agent made a 4yr/$60mil offer to which Theo Epstein said “Do I know you”? That’s Cold Hearted Theo, “Come back when you settle for as 2yr plus and option and maybe I’ll dance with you”. The Highlanders would seem to be choice two, put it seems that the heirs to the Highlander fortune, Hal and Hank A/K/A The Fortunate Son’s, feel as though we won the World Series so now it’s time for us to set up our bank accounts because there will be a mucho disposable dinero flowing in the Bronx this summer and the Fortunate Sons want to bring back Bags O Cash to their Tampa lair. Then there is the Seattle Mariners ,which for Bay would have worked out the best for the Boy from BC.  Mrs. Bay is from the Pacific Northwest so the thought of playing house close to where he grew up with many millions in his pocket had to be very pleasing to the Bay’s. Problem is new Mariners GM Jack Z felt, sure we’d love to have you here but not for some ridiculous sum of $16 mil a year. Instead Jack Z went for bat shit crazy Milton Bradley who came to the Emerald City with his pockets full of cash, letting the M’s save money for something important like pitching. Did you know that Jack Z was once part of the Mets front office?

So the way I look at it, Jason Bay had no other choice but to play for the Mets. But I still feel the Mets were that last fat kid picked when you would choose up sides in the school yard. I just hope that at the Bay presser he doesn’t start waxing poetic about being back in the Mets organization ,in fact I’d have a better appreciation for Bay if he didn’t have a presser but I’m sure Jeffey and Jay Horowitz are at King Kullen right now ordering the cold cuts.

Look you have to give Omar his props as he obtained a power hitting corner outfielder at his terms. For all the venom tossed at Omar’s way this winter once in a while you can give him a pat on the back. Beisdes, Jeffey Skill Sets and Dave The Shyster would just the money on a house in the Hamptons.

Now is not the time for the Mets front office to take any bows, there work is far from done. Now try to make a deal with the Reds and Royals for Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo or Gil Meche . Get two of those three and I’ll bring a marble rye to the presser.

Comments

1. Kenesaw "Mountain" deRoulet says:

“Look you have to give Omar his props as he obtained a power hitting corner outfielder at his terms.”

No, I don’t have to give omar “props.” Once again, he picks up someone else’s sloppy seconds or thirds or fourths because he has the checkbook of very dumb money in his hands.

Bay’s 5th year vesting is being described as statistically easy to achieve so I don’t know why giving 5 years to this guy is an achievement.

It’s omar’s bungling that has created the desperate climate around the Mets, which leads to signings like this. Every year throw money at the latest toy to show the fans you’re doing something.

2. From the link Michael posted yesterday:

How the Mets’ threadbare pitching will survive the deep National League East is another question for Minaya to dance around. Give him this much: He is a survivor, somehow wrangling a contract extension out of the Wilpon family at the height of fans’ disdain with him more than a year ago. In 2007 and 2008, the Mets twice collapsed in September, the enormity of the meltdowns overshadowing a misguided organizational philosophy. This year, with injuries compounding a poorly constructed roster, the Mets weren’t merely a 92-loss, $149 million disappointment. They were an afterthought, the worst possible label in New York.

The article also talks about how little the Mets spend on the draft and how few home-grown players they have of any note. Sorry, Steve, but how can we give him props? For doing what, misdiagnosing what is really needed (pitching) and to use your term, being the last fat kid picked by Bay? Omar did all he knows how to do, take Wilpon money and spend it in the wrong place (not to mention over spend for Bay). Where is the GM skill? Let me answer, there is none. And now the doofus is on vacation.

This is why we are where we are.

3. George the Stork says:

What? We don’t have enough pitching? You don’t think Perez or Maine will win Cy Youngs this year? I’d love Bronson Arroyo, but is his salary so high, that the Reds would give him up for any of the crap in the Mets farm system?

I still would have liked a cheaper alternative in LF — Johnny Damon — for the lefty bat and leadership and have some money leftover for someone like Joel Pineiro. I know a lot of people don’t like him, but he sure looked great against the Mets last year.

4. We need pitching, we know this, but we also needed a LFer, so take it for what its worth. One down, some more to go.

5. Usual BS sign someone sell the heck out of it then sit back and make excuses all season.

6. This wil be ok if our Geezers can win it all in the next 2 years before $iti Feild turns into a real old folks home. I hope he not a George Forster. Getting some more Pitching is vital.

7. This has Kevin MacReynolds written all over it.

8. Dan Gurney says:

“First I Look at the Purse” was written by Smokey Robinson and Bobby Rogers and first recorded by the Contours. The J Geils cover is great.

9. “This has Kevin MacReynolds written all over it.”

Kevin Mac was a great acquisition. He delivered. Wasn’t his fault the Mets undercachived during his tenure.

10. “I still would have liked a cheaper alternative in LF — Johnny Damon — for the lefty bat and leadership and have some money leftover for someone like Joel Pineiro. ”

Yup. This is how smart money things. minaya is the dumbest fucking money in MLB tho.

11. mikey boy324 says:

no way damon is washed up and throws like a girl plus we would have to hear it from stupid yankee fans and piniero is a scrub who is gonna be the next carlos silva i wouldnt touch him..if im the mets you have to go hard at a #2 whether its zambrano harang or even give an incentive based deal to sheets or even wang trade or put castillo on the bench he cant play 2nd base next year sign barajas to a 1 year deal cuz theres way too many good catchers next year (mauer and martinez) and get a platoon player to play first with murphy and then the mets can compete with the phillies if they dont do something like that its gonna be another long season even with bay….

12. Whew! Boy am I glad my team is on the north side of the Triboro.

13. “no way damon is washed up and throws like a girl ”

He throws like a girl with two WS rings on her fingers

14. @Stork – So you bring in a guy that has WS rings???? What exactly will that do for you? He can show them to you ?

15. Not sure Kevin Mac was such a great acquisition. When he arrived and Mitchell left a lot of the spirit was sucked out of the team. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that the down years started with his joining the club.

There was a lot of talk this past year about spirit on the team. Does anyone think Bay adds to it?

16. George the Stork says:

@mikey boy324

You can’t do it all in one year. It took the Crankees the entire 80s and half of the 90s before they were good. And the key is home-grown talent. The Crankees? Jeter, Posada, Mariano, Bernie. The Phillies? Utley, Howard, Victorino, Hamels. Even the Braves of the 90s had all those pitchers — Glavine, Avery, etc. I don’t want patch up jobs with other people’s castoffs. I can wait for a real good team that I can call my own. Omar — please start scouting better and start signing some draft picks. The real attention should be paid to the farm system.

17. Paul L – the rings mean he has been associated with winning.

I’m well aware of Damon’s shortcomings but the post above that says he’s a cheap alterntaive to Bay is right on. A team is a portfolio of players…Damon would not be as good as Bay but he’d leave $$ for other needs and could be had for far fewer than 5 years.

minaya is not capable of thinking this way. wtf happened to this guy – he stole xavier nady and put chad bradford in the bullpen. he looked like a god going into 2006 (except the retarded pedro signing) and how he can’t do anything but throw top dollar at the shiniest free agents.

18. @Gary

By all accounts Bay is a good guy and should blend in well. I would not look to him for leadership unless I’m missing something.

19. Mikey boy324 says:

Stork i understand where your coming from and don’t get me wrong Damon has been a great player its just I think he’d be a terrible fit for the
    mets he hit alot of his homeruns in that short porch and runners will score from second with that arm at citi field. Bye them signing bay there telling me there trying to win now I just hope they go the extra mile to win which they never do they just do enough to put people in the seats and get our hopes up they play in new York have a great fan base have there own network make tons of $$ there’s no reason they should be penny pinching we as met fans should demand them to go the extra mile to win not just enough to give us hope…

20. It means he is associated with winning…ah oh I get it now sign people who have won a WS in the past and the same thing will happen. Oh I didnt know it was that easy, better tell Omar. @Stork -