RON WASHINGTON’S COCAINE BLUES

Bizarre story about Texas Rangers manager Ron Washington testing positive for cocaine last season. First thing I’d like to know is who leaked this to Jon Heyman as it should have been confidential. It seems that since 2008 MLB managers, coaches and front office personnel are subject to drug testing. Before getting tested, Washington told the Commissioners office and the Rangers front office that there was a chance he’d come up dirty.

Washington claims this was a one time use of the drug but how many 57 year olds, snort lines for the first time in their lives ?

This story will take on a life of it’s own

Comments

1. whozgotnext says:

There is something terribly wrong with a culture in which this is a news story that anyone gives a shit about. Grown man, successful and respected, who no one has accused of having a problem, uses an intoxicant, truly, a fairly mild stimulant that’s been used my millions of people for decades, overwhelmingly without ruining their lives.

Gosh, really? Even if I’m a Texas Ranger fan, why should I care? Is he habitually coming into work hung over? Are we afraid that the combination of occasional, recreational stimulant use and the taxing slow walk out to the pitcher’s mound in the Texas heat might cause him to keel over? If not, can we leave the poor guy alone? If he were in the habit of drinking himself into a stupor at the bottom of a fifth of Wild Turkey every night, no one would give a flying you-know-what. But do a couple of lines at a party or with his wife, or with some broad he met on the road, and it’s SportsCenter-leading news. Sheesh. Grow up people.

2. whozgotnext says:

Let me clarify, before I get jumped on, to say that 1. addiction is a serious issue. 2. Cocaine, just like lots of other things, can be addictive, and that it’s in general a bad idea to be using it more than occasionally. 3. If it does turn out that Mr. Washington has a problem, I would hope that his friends, family, and employer would step in to help.

However, it’s also important to note that the use vs. addiction ration of cocaine is pretty much identical to that of alcohol, but no one thinks that I have a problem because I occasionally enjoy a Jameson’s on the rocks, or a few of same. And I don’t want to hear any crap about the example he’s setting, either, because but for our creepy fascination with the chemical composition of strangers’ urine, and our perverse desire – rooted in our culture’s puritan roots – to punish, no one would even know that this happened.

3. kranepool says:

The only thing that surprise me about Ron Wshington is how many guys at the age of 57 start snoring cocaine for the first time in their lives ? I’m also pissed off that this was leaked to Jon Heyman (remember ex-Mets pitcher Grant Roberts and the Newsday story of him at party with pics of him and his bong? Guess who wrote that story ? Yep, Heyman) This should have been confidential between Washington and MLB and the Rangers.

4. whozgotnext says:

I’m sorry, man, I didn’t mean to imply that your take on the story was typical, I was referring really to Sports Center and the rest of the mainstream sports media which treated this as a car wreck to be gawked at. I think your take was right on, as usual.

Thanks for the great work on the blog.

5. whozgotnext is really correct. I mean he makes so much sense. We should wait until a drug problem is completely in full bloom the clubhouse is completely infect and everyone is doing the shit before we do something………..what a dick………

6. kranepool says:

Paul I’m not following your thinking here. Are you saying because Washington copped to coke use (and now we see pot and pills as a player) that the whole Ranger team will be coked up ? Just curious what’s your position on cigarettes, alcohol and the government run lotteries ? All three are a major probelm in society but there doesn’t seem to be the out cry like there is over recreational drugs and PED’s

7. whozgotnext says:

Now, now Paul, there’s no need for name calling. I’m just wondering one thing. How long, in days, weeks, or months, after your boss does a couple of lines at home, will it be before you and your cubicle mates are all in rehab?

8. @kranepool – Dude sorry I went on a rant. I just hate that attitude to let it go. Thats how you land up with BIG problems. whozgotnext let me ask who was the first one to do steroids in teh Met lockeroom because we had a crook working in there. It always tsarts with one. As for cigarettes there is a huge cry, they are taxed to oblivion and there are msgs everywhere to stop smoking but hey its legal so is booze and so are lotteries. We let it all hang out in the 60’s and it took 20 years to get it fixed.

9. kranepool says:

@plid203 – Rants are always welcomed here :>)
    Booze and alcohol are just as bad if not worse than other drugs out there so why not just legalize all of it ?

10. @kranepool – That is YOUR opinion not a fact. But thats not the debate here……