BLOGGING WITH A HEAVY HEART

My blogging the rest of the week will be sporadic as last night my mother, who was just short of turning 97 years old, passed away.

My mother was born in  County Sligo Ireland and came to America when she was 16 years old. Her and my Dad were married for 57 years until he passed away back in 1994.  She leaves behind four children, twelve  grand children, eight great grand children and more neices and nephews than I can count both  here in the U.S., Ireland and England.

She was like no other woman of her generation,  if you think I’m an opinionated, my mom had me beat. She did read this blog once and awhile and didn’t care for the language I sometime use and she felt I was a little too much of a wise ass but between her and my dad we were raised in such a way that you were free to express yourself as wanted.  When most mom’s  fought with their son’s to get haircuts, mine encouraged me to grow mine long.  She couldn’t stand Rock music but never told me to turn it down.  Our home was filled with books and music, lot’s of friends and lots and lots of good times.

Even though she lived a long and fabulous life, as a son my heart aches but she would smack me upside the head if she knew I’d moped around after her death.

After my dad died mom was asked how she was coping living alone.  Her answer always was “I don’t live alone, I live by myself”  She was never alone there was always someone around her, either me or my brothers, my sister, my wife my sister in law, her grand kids, her great grand kids her friends, it was because of that whenever she would see an elderly person pushing a shopping cart or walking to the store alone, or god forbid eating a meal by themselves,  it sadden her.  She loved it when we’d take her to the mall how we fought over who was going to pay for her dress or shoes? She said she hated it when we made a fuss over her but I never believed it. How could we not?   She wonder how is it she could pick the phone call one of us and get picked up and taken anywhere she wanted? We told her it was payback for the way she took care of us our whole lives.

If you go to a house of worshiper this weekend in your prayers think of all the people in the world that are alone and have no family to watch over them. Prayer for parents who are estranged from their children, that they can find a way to settle whatever difference it is that split them apart.

That’s was another lesson my mother taught us, always look out for the less fortunate because of how blessed we were.

Comments

1. My heart goes out to you. I remember when my Mother passed away. The good part is that you have great memories, some folks don’t get that opportunity. My prayers are with you.

2. My thoughts are with you and your family. Sorry for your loss.

3. So sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my mother (also an Irish immigrant) just this past July. The pain of her loss has diminished while the love she gave has not – I hope that it will be the same for you and your family.

4. George the Stork says:

Steve, she sounds like an awesome woman. Good on ya for having such a great mom. My prayers to you and your family.

5. Bryan Erwin says:

Steve,
    All my sympathy to you and your family. I have never posted a comment to your site, but in reading it over the years, I feel I have gotten to know you a bit. And so I feel your heartache over your Mom’s passing. Sounds like if we all has Mom’s like yours, this world would be a better place.

6. Krane, deepest sympathies to you and your family. We shall say a prayer for all of you.

7. It’s hard to loose your Mom, but, of course, she lives on through you. Be the best kid she wanted you to be.

8. Steve,

Most sincere condolences. Sounds like you carry on quite the family tradition.

Here’s to your mom.

Greg

9. My condolences… she sounds like a wonderful woman!

10. Condolences, Steve. 96!

11. will betheboy says:

My condolences to you and your family. Thank you for sharing this.

12. I’m so sorry to hear about this, Steve. My prayers and condolences go out to you!

13. My condolences to you and your family. She sounds like a fantastic woman. I check in every day to the society and appreciate your writting. All the best.
    I am also calling my mom right now, thanks.

14. Steve,

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Mom’s in good hands.

Michael

15. Steve,

My condolences. From the way you describe your mom, it is clear you have been gifted with her wit and charisma. I most definitely will sned my prayers your way during this Easter season.

Stay strong

16. john beyrer says:

prayers and thoughts for you and your family God Bless

17. Condolences, Steve, to you and your family.

18. My condolences Steve

19. Steve, that was a wonderful tribute. Your mom sounds like an extraordinary person and it sounds as if she gave you a great deal. My sympathy to you and your family.

20. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Very sorry to hear about your loss.

21. Mark Landau says:

Really sorry to hear, Kraney. That was a great tribute, though. My thoughts are with you.

22. Same here, Steve. Your mom sounded like a really wonderful person. Sincere condolences to you and your family.

23. Squawker Jon and I wanted to pass along our condolences on the loss of your mother. Sending positive thoughts and wishes your way. What a nice tribute to your mom.

24. Gary Hughes says:

Read your blog all the time. So sorry to read about the passing of you Mom. My prayers are with you and your family.

25. My mom didn’t care at all about baseball but a year after she died I found she’d packed away all my baseball cards, Mets yearbooks, and Seaver/Kingman drawings I’d done as a kid. There’s not much more special than your mom. My heart goes out to you.

26. Steve,

From all I’ve read on this blog I can tell that you’ve been blessed: with a great mother and a great wife. (Of course, all great mother raise Met fans and all great wives marry them, but that’s a side issue at the moment.)

I’m very sorry to hear about your mother. We’ve ‘chatted’ about her over the years I’ve been coming here. It’s always been obvious that she raised you and your brothers right and that you, in return, were devoted to her. There’s no greater testament.

I’m sorry that I didn’t see this until today. I was away over Easter and never caught up on what I missed.