SMOOTH OPERATORS

No need to ask he’s a smooth operator

There was something different about the Mets last night, not just the great pitching performance by Jon Neise or the bombs away hitting of Daivd Wright, Rod Barajas or Frenchy there was a confidence displayed by the team that has been missing for awhile. When you look at Jason Bay the guy never seems to get rattled.  Ike Davis is the same way it feels like Davis has been here for a couple of years instead of a couple of weeks. The players all said during spring training that they knew they had a good team and that they’ll prove once the season starts, I for one didn’t believe it. I’m not going over board just yet although beating the Phillies like they did and shutting up the louts that inhabit Citizen’s Bank Park has we ready to go overboard.

It’s easy to go crazy during this hot streak and hopeful Big Pelf works his magic to day against Roy Haliday but the test of the makeup of this team to me will be how they react when they hit a bump in the road. They’ve already hi one early in the year and have shown for guts than last years team ever did but at some point the pitching is going to struggle and the bats will slump a bit and how the team reacts to that adversity will be the test .

I don’t want to dwell on that now though I just want to see the Mets kick Roy Halliday and the Phillies ass this afternoon.

Comments

1. oktoday says:

They now have 3 good starting pitchers, and there is good hope that the team has the talent to fill in the next 2. And there is a good chance that Maine will be one of them.

And the offense is still not set, but they are working on that also. Beltran will also help that to happen.

2. Michael says:

Apparently Howie Rose is poking fun at the photos of our John Sterling at The White House. Howie said he’ll check his cover of Sgt. Pepper and see if John’s face appears.

Guess what Howie? It’s gonna be a long fucking time before you and that team you broadcast for will be invited to The White House.

3. George the Stork says:

@Michael – Ok, Michael, like Sterling is quite the handsome (and stable) individual. The man is a walking comedy routine. Everyone laughs at him.

4. kranepool says:

Michael, I admit I get a kick out of Sterling in fact I remember his sportstalk show on WMCA back in the early 70′s and his stint as play by play man of the New York Raiders of the WHA (any Norm Peacosh fans out there?) but when it comes to play by play he’s awful and when his magpie partner starts yaping it makes my ears bleed.

I agree with you on Howie it will be a long time before the Islanders will ever win another Stanley Cup

5. That Howie thing was during the first game Tuesday, I was listening at work. Howie was not taking shots at Sterling. What he said was that it was odd that in the published photos from the White House thing, a broadcaster would be in them. He said generally reporters and broadcasters are not allowed in the photo area, and he was more commenting on the change in that “rule” than anything else. He said since Sterling was in these photos, Howie may look for him on Sgt. Pepper.

And to Steve’s point, Waldman is the most hideous thing ever to have a projected voice, including the people with megaphones who try to get you to play games at carnivals.

6. Michael says:

You guys can have Wayne H. and his over the top descriptiveness. Gimme Sterling anytime.

Yes Steve, I too remember Sterling from WMCA. He really was one of the pioneers in sports talk radio.

I never warmed to Bill Mazur. He was too National League for my tastes. Burned my ass that he broadcast from Mickey Mantle’s.

7. I think Wayne H stinks, too.

8. Michael says:

Originally Posted By RichThat Howie thing was during the first game Tuesday, I was listening at work. Howie was not taking shots at Sterling. What he said was that it was odd that in the published photos from the White House thing, a broadcaster would be in them. He said generally reporters and broadcasters are not allowed in the photo area, and he was more commenting on the change in that “rule” than anything else. He said since Sterling was in these photos, Howie may look for him on Sgt. Pepper.

Rich,

Agreed, Waldman rattles my nerves. Having nothing to do with broadcasting she is a breast cancer survivor like my sister so I somehow have some feelings for her.